Tuesday, March 24, 2009

THINGS

I was listening to an NPR broadcast where the host and a columnist were talking with people about things they would sell or not sell as a last resort to bring in money during this US recession. Or another way to describe the convo was things people would have a real difficult time parting with. Understandable one woman said her engagement ring. This one I can understand would be darn difficult to sell. She must be one American with a darn strong marriage! I only heard a little bit of it, one lady said some dresser brought over on a ship by relatives from Holland. I guess the thing that I focus on is the fact that this life here on this earth is not all there is. I heard an interesting phrase recently from a Bible teacher named Beth Moore. Beth said, "were just hanging out" here. I love how that firey Texas lady said that and it has stuck with me! When things are tough, when dreams die for me HERE, well I'm just hangin out here anyway. And it's biblical, the bible says "Our citizenship is in heaven" (Phil 3.19-21). I don't judge these folks on NPR, they probably just know no better than to focus on the here and now, and treasure the things they have. Lord let me share with others that this life is NOT all there is. And that the ONLY way to live as this earth is not your home is to have one's heart welded to the heart of the Savior. When one knows the King, and knows His riches, then one can hold onto things here very lightly.

1 comment: